TucsonDrivers.com

Hyundai Tucson Forum & Community
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:07 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:58 pm 

What vehicle do you own?: Tucson
Hi,

I am getting a 4wd Tucson next month and I have a few question about its 4wd system.

My family has owned many true 4x4 over the years (even the ones that you had to get down from the car and manually lock the cubes) but I have never owned an AWD vehicle.

So how does it work on the Tucson. Does the car normally runs with 2wd? I read that the car shifts to 4wd mode by itself when needed, If so what is the point of the "4wd switch" Or am I missing something?

Can I force the vehicle to run on either 2wd or 4wd mode?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:57 pm 
Technically, the Tucson is not AWD, it's 4WD. AWD is all wheels turning all the time. The Tucson isn't like that. Basically what you've heard is correct. 99% of the time it is FWD. When the computer detects the front wheel slipping, up to 50% of the power will be directed to the rear wheels as needed. There is a button on the dash to lock it into 4WD mode however that is only good up to about 30-mph. After you reach that speed the 4WD lock is disengaged and it operates as normal (described above). When the speed drops below about 30-mpg the lock engages again.

http://trucktrend.automotive.com/57639/163-0612-2006-hyundai-tucson-awd-limited/index.html
Quote:
The Tucson's 2.7-liter V-6 (a significant step up from the base four-cylinder) also is standard on the Limited, mated to a four-speed automatic transmission with Shiftronic manual shift control. For those looking under the hood, you'll think it odd that a transverse-mounted engine has a cover designed to look like there's a longitudinally mounted engine underneath. We'll deduct points from Hyundai for that. Front drive is standard on the entire line with electronic AWD a no-cost option on the Limited. This system normally routes up to 99 percent of the power to the front wheels, but can run 50 percent of the power to the rear as conditions change. The Tucson's center differential can be manually locked for an even 50/50 power split at speeds below 25 mph at the push of a button.

http://www.automotive.com/2005/43/hyundai/tucson/reviews/driving-impressions/index.html
Quote:
Unlike traditional part-time four-wheel-drive systems Hyundai uses a system that automatically adjusts the amount of power going to each wheel as needed. Most of the time the electronically controlled system routes up to 99 percent of the power to the front wheels. Then as road conditions change the system diverts up to 50 percent of the power to the rear wheels. In this way power is routed to the wheels that have the best traction. In really slippery conditions the driver can push a button on the dashboard to lock the driveline in a 50/50 torque split.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:08 pm 

Thanks a lot.

Very informative

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:38 am 
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

hi, I think this is the place were I can ask this question.
Before Tucson I owned Opel Frontera.
before I could switch 4x4 I had to get down from the car and manually lock the hub, but thats not the main point. inside the car it had two levels H(high) and L(low). when I was driving on snow L was very useful going downhill.it slowed my car down and it didn't slide,(my car didn't have ABS so it was the perfect way to keep wheels going and not block them.) also it gave extra power going uphill. does anyone know if Hyundai Tucson has something familiar with "L"(low)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:09 pm 
dzio wrote:
does anyone know if Hyundai Tucson has something familiar with "L"(low)?

Not really. 4WD-L is when there is a manual locking, 2-speed transfer case. You choose between 2WD, 4WD-H and 4WD-L. The Tucson is an automatic case. When you push the button to lock 4WD it's sorta like 4WD-L because both front and rear wheels are locked together but it only operates at speed below 25-mph. Once you go abobe 25-mph, the system disengages automatically back to FWD.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:25 pm 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

The Low/High setting on your frontera was a low range gearbox with a diff-lock option.

Low-Range dropped the gear ratios massively so that 5th was lower than 1st in high range.

Using low-range gives you way WAY more torque than in high range, and is use for climbing very very steep hills.

Also when descending very very steep hills, low range means the engine braking slows you downa lot more.

Diff lock locks the wheels so that they all rotate at the same speed regardless of how much grip they have.

The Tucson does NOT have low range and does not have diff lock. It has an electronic diff lock that works using the brakes by braking a wheel if it starts to spin, so power goes to the other wheels.

Low-range isn't as important as it used to be as modern common rail turbo diesel engine have so much more power than the old ones.

+ Towbar (for off-road recovery)
+ Spoiler
+ California Rear Lights
+ Smoked Side Repeaters
+ SatNav/Bluetooth/DVD/MP3/Cameras
+ Speed Camera Detector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:16 pm 
Broken In Engine
Broken In Engine

Does this mean that if I'm going over the speed threshold for 4wd override, with the override turned off, and the front wheels start spinning, the thing will not start putting power to the back until I get under the speed threshold? Or will it engage at any speed when needed and it's just the 4wd override that gets ignored when travelling faster if activated?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:41 pm 
Valued Member
Valued Member

good question stu, I always assumed that the lock didnt work below the threshold but the automatic 4wd distribution would kick in above that, anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:24 pm 
Valued Member
Valued Member

What vehicle do you own?: Sportage
that's correct. As I mentioned in my post, over 25mph and the lock no longer works, but the engine will still send power to the rear end if the front starts slipping. Anything under 25mph and the engine will send up to 50 percent of the power to the rear end. As your speed increases the percentage of power that the rear end can recieve deminishes. Once you exceed 25mph the vehicle is part time AWD. Once you exceed the maximum speed for power transfer to take place (I think it's around 45mph), the vehicle is essentially a front wheel drive only.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:00 am 
Valued Member
Valued Member

sorry to bang on about this.......so below 25mph with the lock ON does the amount of power to the rear wheels vary according to conditions or is it a straight 50/50 split?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:31 am 
Valued Member
Valued Member

I hit on a way to make me shut up about this subject once and for all and here it is....... Image

Above 45mph = 2WD only, 4WD Lock is inoperative

25mph - 45mph = up to 50% power transferred to rear diff, Lock is inoperative

Below 25mph = when Lock is OFF up to 50% power to rear depending on conditions
= when Lock is ON 50% of power to rear irrespective of conditions

Please confirm or correct my statements if you have the patience (now dont get me started on the ESC/TC lock!)

Cheers

BB Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:46 pm 
Valued Member
Valued Member

blueboy wrote:
Please confirm or correct my statements if you have the patience (now dont get me started on the ESC/TC lock!)

Cheers

BB Image

By Jove, I think he's got it!! Image

--------------------------------------------------------
Military Veteran (US Air Force, Alabama Air National Guard, 24 years total)
Son of Milton (US Army, World War II, North Africa, Sicily, Italy)
Son-in-law of Otis (US Navy, World War II, Atlantic and Pacific Theaters)
Father of Matthew (US Army, Tennessee National Guard, Iraq War Veteran)
Father-in-law of Mark (US Marines)
Nephew of Joseph Donald (US Army, World War II, Burma Campaign)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:48 pm 
Valued Member
Valued Member

What vehicle do you own?: Sportage
confirmed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:15 pm 
Valued Member
Valued Member

phew! and thanks.....now about ESC/TC.............................

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:25 pm 
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Shuddup you said you would go to sleep or summat like that :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:09 pm 
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

Hi guys, im pretty new Tucson driver. few days ago, I was try climb some hill with 4wd lock.
It was disaster. Motor have no power to run car. I was turn it off, and I climb without problems.
Pls explain..when to use 4wd lock? im confused

Tucson 4wd, 2009. 2.0 Gasoline,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:43 pm 
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

Use only at speeds of under 21 mph and use for starting off in snow-best use the Tucson without this locked as it auto selects to use awd or individual wheels (like a brain)

Ok

Itza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:33 pm 
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

What vehicle do you own?: Neither
OK, thanks for all the info, but I have one question that fits under this subject.

Although not directly, the texts I read seem to suggest the new Tucson 2010 has an electronic system to block the free spinning wheels unlike the old model in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyKyxWg8kMg

the feature can be seen at about 10sec into the video. If one wheel from each axle is in the air, there is no traction.

Can someone confirm, that the 2010 version has the electronic blocking system as can be found on the VW Tiguan for example? It is very important for me, since I do drive a lot on muddy roads.

I'm impatiently waiting for the arrival of my new car ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:25 pm 
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

As far as I am aware they have not changed the spec of the current range of the Tucson- Now the model that they have named as the ix 35 ( The flashy crossover Sante Fe lookalike)may well do something different as it is a different vehicle.

Itza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:41 pm 
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

I looked at the specification and the new vehicle has traction control. Therefore if the control blocks the free spinning wheel, the opposite wheel should get all the power.

Can anyone more experienced in cars confirm this assumption?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:04 pm 
Super Supporter
Super Supporter

In all the time I have had Tucsons (Since they came out in 2004) I have never ever had any problems at all with the TCS or the way my Tucsons have pulled my caravan out of muddy fields.
On the road the tcs may have been used to help me get along but I guess I never knew about it as the car takes everything in it's stride.
Suggest you look at some of the you tube videos that have been put on there by some of our more adventurous members- Loads of them in muddy/snowy conditions.
Even the forum owner Tucson has tried power sliding his in a car park in the snow and thats there to watch.

Ref the wheel spinning the electronics correct the free spin to bring the vehicle back under control - It can do this faster than I can type aaaaaa

Why not go rent one for a day and take it out and try it then at least this way you will know what it can do for real.
Cheers

Itza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:58 am 
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

Professional SEO Expert produces cheap Search Engine Optimization services to their clients and manage excellence. His or her discounted SEO provider guarantees number one search engine ranks