TucsonDrivers.com

Hyundai Tucson Forum & Community
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:02 am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:13 pm 
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

What vehicle do you own?: Tucson
Just got my car serviced at Hyundai (plain oil change), and they came back with the following recommendations:
1- Brake fluid replacement (due to high acidity levels after prolonged use)
2- Radiator fluid flush
3- Brake cleaning (to improve performance and reduce brake wear)
4- Injector cleaning

I know these are standard requests based on mileage (currently have 43,000 KM), but are they really necessary? I have no issue with the car and maybe could do some of that stuf myself.

Any link where I can find brake fluid replacement?
Are the injectors cleaned with some special liquid, or do they physically clean them?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:04 pm 

Brake fluid and coolant flush sound reasonable at this mileage.

Brake cleaning - not sure what they mean. We have disk brakes all around, so dust has nowhere to accumulate. I would pay $10 for spraying brake pads with brake cleaner, that available in Princess Auto or Canadian Tire for $5 a can.

Injector cleaning most likely is done by adding a cleaner to the gas tank. I did it once at dealership. It cost a few bucks, meaning they were not removed from the engine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:35 pm 

at 43K none of that is needed. coolant flush you can wait at least until 50K or 3 years at leaset it depends on ow fast you put on the mileage. brake fluid , leave it in there for at least 5 years or 100k. injector and brake cleaning is a scam...your car will be fine without that, stop listening to the dealer, they just want to make money off ya !!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:14 pm 

andrei3333 wrote:
brake fluid , leave it in there for at least 5 years or 100k. injector and brake cleaning is a scam...your car will be fine without that, stop listening to the dealer, they just want to make money off ya !!!

Factory coolant in my 2006 Tucson has pretty short life span. Don't remember exactly when it needs to be changed. I changed it around 45,000 km. Brake fluid must be changed every 2 years, regardless of mileage. It absorbs moisture fast, even if vehicle is not driven. Agree with injector and brake cleaning - it's a scam.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:32 pm 

i had my coolant completely flushed recently at around 80.000KM and there was nothing wrong with the car, the coolant looked a bit lighter than i'd like, but the car was fine, i still would have changed it at the same mileage.

Brake fluid does absorb moisture, but every 2 years is excessive. i would do it every 5 years or 100.000KM, or when you have a major brake job done like all your rotors and pads replaced...

again, unless you are racing and heating up the fluid every day to its extremes, it will last that long if not longer...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 am 
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm 
Fresh Car Smell
Fresh Car Smell

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and any check for moisture content will show that after a couple of years it has more water in the system than it should, for what it costs and for the safety factor alone it needs changing mate. its an easy job to do and peace of mind is priceless.